The Construction Superintendent oversees the operations of a construction site from planning to completion on high-end residential projects as well as commercial projects. The duties of a construction superintendent will vary, however, they can expect to be responsible for daily scheduling, supervising all activities and tasks, and ensuring the safety and compliance of the site. Additionally, the Superintendent is responsible for managing the labor force and making sure they comply with SOP Requirements.
Superintendent duties and responsibilities:
- Develops a schedule and cost-effective plan, in collaboration with the Project Manager, for completion of an assigned project.
- Collaborates with other staff to create preconstruction estimates and budgets for materials and labor.
- Coordinates and schedules the work activities of tradespeople, professionals, and laborers, communicating to and via project foreperson to deliver instructions and project assignments as appropriate.
- Manages all on-site logistics.
- Regularly inspects work for quality and timeliness; prepares and provides progress reports to owners and architects; makes recommendations for necessary modifications.
- Collaborates with the architect, engineer, attorney, and other pertinent stakeholders to ensure specifications, zoning requirements, and other regulations are met.
- Ensures specifications and regulations outlined in architectural and engineering plans are followed.
- Obtains required permits and licenses; executes construction contracts according to terms of the agreement.
- Monitors changes in scope throughout the project and communicates variances as they occur.
- Maintains records related to costs and inventory.
- Addresses any safety violations or other deficiencies.
- Maintains adherence to McKenzie’s Standard Operations Procedures Manual (SOP)
- Implements health and safety protocols on site
- Completes 2-week look ahead schedule
- Follow-up with Subcontractors and Vendors on any job-specific requirements such as daily sign-in sheets, manpower, proposals, and any required job items
- Attend monthly Superintendent meetings
- Provide site-specific feedback and information to Clients
- Perform weekly Subcontractors Meetings
- Attend Owner Architect Contractor Meetings
- Attend City and Private Provider Inspections
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to oversee and coordinate a variety of people in different roles.
- Extremely detail-oriented.
- Ability to read, understand, and execute blueprints, drawings, and plans.
- Thorough understanding of legal requirements relating to construction and building sites.
- Thorough understanding of quality building practices.
- Ability to quickly identify problems and efficiently solve them.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of Superintendent experience in construction.
Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and some experience with scheduling software.